Another AEP has come and gone. As we continue adjusting to this new selling and enrollment environment, we must look for opportunities to serve beneficiaries while remaining compliant. Now that the 2021 Open Enrollment Period has begun, let’s discuss what is (and is not) allowable from a marketing perspective.
Compliant OEP Marketing Initiatives
- Engage with Clients – Follow up with your clients to make sure they are comfortable with their plan. For new enrollees, we encourage brokers to complete 30, 60, and 90-day follow-ups. If your client would prefer to make a change, you can offer to go over enrollment options with them.
- Market to Aging-In Prospects – Continue your marketing efforts toward new and soon-to-be Medicare beneficiaries as normal.
- Maximize Special Election Opportunities – Whether it’s marketing 5-Star Plans, highlighting Chronic Condition Special Needs Plans, or reaching out to the Dual Eligible community, make the most of these programs that trigger an SEP.
- Service Beneficiaries Requesting Help – If you are contacted by a beneficiary that asks what options they have, you are free to discuss the OEP with them. You can mail or email marketing materials when they are requested by a beneficiary.
What You Can’t Do During OEP
- Market the OEP – You cannot advertise the OEP option to beneficiaries.
- Contact Former Clients – Every now and then, a client slips through the cracks, and you lose them. You cannot use the OEP to win them back.
- Target Beneficiaries – If you are aware of beneficiaries who enrolled in Medicare Advantage Plans during the AEP, you cannot contact them with the intent of switching them during the OEP.
Just as a quick refresher, if you are contacted by a beneficiary that needs help, here is a list of allowable changes during the Open Enrollment Period:
- MA or MAPD to another MA or MAPD
- MA or MAPD to Original Medicare
- MA or MAPD to Original Medicare with a stand-alone PDP
Beneficiaries are allowed only one change during this period, which lasts from January 1st to March 31st.
As you continue to serve beneficiaries during OEP, don't forget to utilize Broker Connect for accurate, more efficient quoting and enrolling.